Comparing Heady & Scientific Glass
When it comes to smoking your favorite herb the choices for pipes are virtually endless. But did you know that there are two very distinct types of glass used to make those pipes?
Well, now you do! The two types of glass include scientific glass and heady glass. But which is better? Do they impact the experience in any way? And should you even care?
There is a strong debate as to which one is better, so this article will discuss the pros and cons of both, helping you to formulate your own opinion.
In the end, there is no clear winner with the topic highly subjective and relying heavily on personal preference. By understanding the difference between these glasses, you too can decide which one you prefer.
The Basics of Scientific Glass
Scientific glass is clear or semi-clear and is easily identifiable by its beaker-shaped base. This look, coupled with the straight tubes that are often a feature of this glass, makes you look like you are performing a science experiment, giving scientific glass its name.
Scientific glass offers greater heat resistance. It is also less prone to stress fractures, and the design continues to improve as designers collaborate on better functioning pieces.
Oftentimes, hits are noted as being smoother from those pipes or bongs that utilize scientific glass. Keep this in mind if you are looking to avoid less harsh hits or have sensitive lungs.
The Pros of Scientific Glass
Made of borosilicate, scientific glass is:
- Easily customizable to your smoking preferences with different percolation options
- Easy to clean
- Cheap and easy to replace
- Made of sturdy glass for durability
- Constantly being upgraded for better smoking experiences
- Easy to find tools and accessories that match the theme
Scientific glass is all about functionality. While there may be a few basic color options or some fun tube designs, the purpose is to focus on percolation options. For those who are looking for something more unique, heady glass may be better.
The Cons of Scientific Glass
There are a few reasons that heady glass is better than scientific glass.
The downsides of using scientific glass are:
- The glass can often look dirty due to its clear nature which shows more residue.
- It is not as visually appealing as heady glass.
- Custom designs do not exist, as it comes in a few basic designs.
- It is very obvious what you use this piece for, which makes some users uncomfortable.
Despite this list, scientific glass is a great way to get that perfect smoking experience. Heady glass, however, also offers many attractive features.
The Basics of Heady Glass
Heady glass is extremely decorative in nature. Imagine those glassblowing demonstrations you went to as a kid, and you understand how heady glass is made. Glassblowing artists put their unique touch on each piece.
Heady glass is made of high-end glass and often features bold colors and extreme designs. Some heady glass artists are beginning to incorporate the strong points of scientific glass design into heady glass pieces.
Heady pieces are very unique and can even be made to look like everyday objects. There is certainly an allure to owning unique pieces that speak to your artistic side.
The Pros of Heady Glass
As an art piece, heady glass offers many benefits, such as:
- Unique, custom looks that can be one-of-a-kind or limited edition
- Function as a conversational piece
- A fun item to name and easy to become sentimentally attached to
- Being equally as functional to a scientific glass piece
Some heady glass pieces are outlandishly unique. Racecars, submarines, and giant skulls are just a few crazy design options for heady glass pieces. These pipes can be as unique as you are.
The Cons of Heady Glass
Heady glass comes with its own unique set of issues to consider.
- These pieces are more expensive due to their nature as artwork.
- Heady glass breaks more easily, and it will be near impossible to get an exact replacement.
- Sometimes, pieces of the heady glass may be thin in design, making breaks more likely.
- There are not as many percolation options for custom smoking.
- Heady pieces can be difficult to clean depending on the curves in their design.
Despite these potential issues, many choose to use heady glass anyway. The pieces are both fun and functional.
Consider Your Smoking Preference
Both scientific and heady glass offer many benefits, and each piece has potential issues. If you are a no-frills person who just needs a functional piece that needs to be durable and resistant, scientific glass may be better for you.
If you don’t care as much about customizing your percolation, but you love to have pieces that are unique in color and design, you may lean towards heady glass.
Each glass type is functional and pretty in its own way. Either choice will help improve your smoking experience, but this guide can help you consider the differences if you feel stuck.
The Debate Never Ends, but You Can End Your Own Debate
As human beings, we love to disagree. There are those who are staunch believers in the power of scientific glass, madmen in their own laboratory. Others are fully entrenched in the flow of heady glass, looking for the next inspiring experience. There is no reason to be stuck in the middle of these two.
Scientific glass users and heady glass users can get along! Pick whichever amps up your personal smoking experience. Maybe you want to use both! By remembering the pros and cons in this guide, you too can decide which is best for your lifestyle.
Most importantly, get out there and have fun. Your piece will be special to you, so pick one from Hemper that you are ready to build memories with
The Best Celebrity Bongs You Need to Add to Your CollectionRead Next ››